If you are making or receiving child support payments after getting a divorce in Illinois, there may come a time when you need to request a modification of the order. Changes in your income or your child’s financial needs are common reasons that cause a court to modify child support orders. Before filing the paperwork in Illinois to request a modification, you may have to gather financial statements, health care bills or other relevant information to submit with your case for review.

FindLaw states that there are several circumstances that may require child support modification. Your child support order may come through an administrative or judicial process. Judicial child support orders require a court to make changes to the amount you must pay every month. In most cases, a court may modify a judicial child support order when there is a significant change in circumstances.

If you have an administrative child support order, the state’s Division of Child Support Services is the agency that reviews and makes modifications to your orders. Administrative orders may undergo review every three years. Either spouse may request an administrative review if it has been more than three years since the last review. There are other reasons you may request an administrative review. For example, if you are paying child support and lose your job, you may request a reduction in your required payments. If you receive child support payments and your child gets an injury or illness that greatly increases his or her health care costs, you may request an increase in child support payments to cover the medical expenses. During a review, the DCSS may study you and your ex-spouse’s incomes and your child’s expenses to determine whether to make a modification.

This information on child support modification is general and is intended to educate; it should not be taken as legal advice.